Monday, August 22, 2011

The last time I saw Jack Layton


It was in April 2011. He came to an Equal Voice event in Ottawa to celebrate women in politics.

He talked about Alexa McDonnough and Rosemary Brown.

He looked white as a ghost and I wondered if he would delay a then pending election call to avoid a grueling campaign he looked unable to face.

I wondered how he could find the strength to get outta bed to come to a women's event.

I suppose the "second cancer" had already started then.

I was surprised to see Jack's stamina during the federal campaign. Wow. Just wow.

When he announced he was taking a break, I called it his swan song. He was going out on top.

His passing seems so sudden. I wanted to see him last a little longer, sit at the front row of the House of Commons -- he earned it -- yell at Harper + champion us regular folk, us mere mortals.

I am sad to hear he'll never get that chance.

RIP Jack Layton.


Recommend this post

No comments: